Windy Mid Warwickshire Welcome



Mid Warwickshire Yacht Club welcomed 13 entrants and families for its 4th British Moth Open Meeting on Saturday 13 April 2013, which included 4 members from the home club. Competitors were greeted with sunshine, a steady breeze and a good water level on the small reservoir at Leamington Spa which is ideally suited to the British Moth. The forecast for the day did, however, predict that the weather would change.


In Race 1 the fleet seemed a little line shy, perhaps wary of a repetition of last year’s multiple General Recalls. Roger Witts from Frampton got cleanly away from the downwind end of the start line and built up an early lead whilst much of the rest of the fleet found themselves bunched at the pin end. Mark Wiltshire tried to keep in touch with Roger and Duncan Laverty from the home Club managed to hold third place for a few laps. In a freshening wind Roger went on to build an impressive lead to take the race and lapping some of the back markers forcing the Race Officer to shorten course. Mark Wiltshire held on to 2nd place and Andy Matthews from Chew Valley worked his way up to 3rd place.


After a hearty lunch and a beer or two it was noted that the wind had freshened further and swung a few degrees so a very slight adjustment to the course was made for Race 2. Andy Matthews made the best start but it was Roger Witts who rounded the windward mark in first place. One of the gybe marks, conveniently situated outside the Clubhouse window, caught out a few of the competitors. Roger capitalised on his lead right to the finish and was not seriously challenged throughout. Similarly Andy sailed a consistent race throughout to keep second place. The battle for third place was a little more interesting and it eventually went to Colin Hall following a tussle with Gary Tompkins and Richard Keefe, all 3 being members of Hunts SC. The worsening conditions clearly took their toll with 4 retirements and a DNS.

With the wind now at its peak the race officer changed the course significantly to reduce the number of gybes (kindly leaving the Clubhouse one in for the benefit of the spectators!) Just 8 boats ventured out for Race 3 and with the event safely in the bag Roger Witts wisely chose to remain with those who stayed ashore. The final race actually proved to be the most entertaining of the day with a bit more planing in evidence and a cracking tussle for 1st place between Andy Matthews and Gary Tompkins. With much position swapping Gary lapped first for 5 of the 8 laps completed but when it counted at the end of the race it was Andy who took line honours, but by a very close margin. Once again Colin Hall found himself working his way through the fleet dispatching a few challengers on the way including Peter Lee from the home club who was showing his best form of the day.